I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Sunday, March 28, 2004

Too loud with lots of background noise.

So I brought the recording attachment for my iPod, intending to record the DIY Web panel we did on Friday, but I had the iPod too loaded with digital photos to get anything then. Remedied that problem by transferring the photo files to the flash card of my camera, and created space for these two audio gems. I'm just learning to use this thing. It seems to work better when you don't yell into it. The mic is very sesitive and the background noises are sometimes easier to distinguish than what we're saying directly into it. I'll have to keep experimenting.

UPDATE: Audio is posted now. Sorry about the static. Like I said, I have to keep experimenting. It seems to do best with low volume speech. It looks like our audblog from the limo Friday night never went through to [expurgated]'s site--perhaps it's just as well!

This one is a conversation between Tom Hopkins and me at the AWP bookfair. We are talking about Jessa Crispin from BookSlut, who Tom had been looking forward to meeting. I don't think he ever found her.

This one is Jordan Davis, Josh Corey, hubby, Tom, and me in the Palmer House Hilton hotel bar last night. Drinks of choice: Jordan = beer, Josh = Bombay Sapphire Martini straight up with a twist, Shawn = Bombay Sapphire Gibson (which he rhapsodizes about here), Shanna = a Californian Pinot Noir. Tom had no drink. He was just stopping by.

AWP has been so all-consuming that we didn't get a chance to do anything really Chicago. Except last night we had dinner at Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill. Our bartender (we ate at the bar) was delightful and serious and a raconteur. The man makes a mean margarita--Herradurra Silver, then a small-batch tequila, Oro Azul. We had the tamale appetizer (different every day--these were pork*) with a chipotle-based sauce. Shawn had the Cochinita Pibil--pork* slow braised in banana leaves with a habeƱero salsa (a biting, smoky chile that does not play around). I had the Pato en Mole de Cacahuate--duck* breast with red peanut mole, garlicky greens, and red chile rice. The menu is here.

We also got lunch at The Berghoff yesterday--I had sauerbraten with creamed* spinach and spaetzels*, Shawn had the burger*, and a appetizer of knockwurst* and bratwurst* with sauerkraut and potatoes. The menu is here. They make their own beer--we had the lager. We'd been in the bar on Friday--really cool place.

*[This post has not been modified, but I have since gone vegan. So has my husband. If we can do it, shit, anybody can.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.