I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

AWP Booty!



And by that I mean books & mags I got, not something else, you dirty kids.



I don't know if it's the gloomy weather today or a mass-AWP hangover, the fact that many of us seem to be variously wounded, or what, but everybody seems a little down and it's catching. I tried to work on some poems today and just disgusted myself. Quit. Not sure if I should rush through the rest of the Weldon Kees bio or put it aside, because things for him are tenuous. But as Daphne says, sometimes you just can't tear your eyes from the train wreck, so I'll probably finish it. But if you're wondering why it's taking me so long to read it, that's why. His depressive cycles are fairly clear in the biography, the highs and lows triggered by his successes and (perceived) failures in poetry and painting. Kees definitely would have been a blogger--instead he wrote tons of letters.



Re: yesterday's post about hearing loss, honey said "The world is too noisy anyway." Then he said he'd never "done it" with a cyborg before, and that's technically what I'd be if I had a hearing aid. Gee, honey, I never thought of it like that.



He always makes me laugh. To finish cheering myself up, I just unpacked all my new poetry schwag and books and mags and made one big brilliant stack. (I'm also cooking tonight--that always does the trick.)



At Port Royal, poems by Christopher Edgar (AIP)

Chicago Review, journal of the University of Chicago

The Columbia Poetry Review, student-run journal of Columbia College

Court Green, new journal of Columbia College

Crazyhorse, [which came with a spiffy free book bag!], journal of the College of Charleston

Everyday Psychokillers: A History for Girls, novel by Lucy Corin (FC2)

The False Sun Recordings, poems by James Wagner (3rd Bed Books)

Mercury: A Short Story, letterpress chapbook by Jonis Agee (The Toothpaste Press)

New Orleans Review, journal of Loyola University

Practices, poetry chapbook by Barbara Maloutas (New Michigan Press)

Redivider, (formerly the Beacon Street Review) journal of Emerson College

Rhino, independent journal of Poetry Forum Inc., Evanston, Ill.

Sad Little Breathing Machine, poems by Matthea Harvey (Graywolf)

Salt Hill, journal of Syracuse University

Songs for Sky Lounge, CD companion to the book of poems by the same nambe by Mark Bibbins

The Story Behind the Story: 26 Stories by Contemporary Writers and How They Work, anthology edited by Peter Turchi & Andrea Barrett (Norton)

Teaching Shakespeare (CD), National Endowment for the Arts

32 Poems, journal published by Deborah Ager, edited by John Poch

Unfathoms, [which I mistakenly called "Unfathoming" the other day] poems by Kirsten Kaschock (Slope Editions)

Wakenight Emporium, novel by A.B. West (FC2)

The Wavering Knife, stories by Brian Evenson (FC2)

Winter Sex, poems by Kathy Lederer (Verse Press)



Also received pre-AWP and not yet noted here:



BOOGLITE, edited by David Kirschenbaum

The Portable Boog Reader, ditto

Tillie's News: Who's a Bum, ditto



Also received via Academy of America Poets membership:



The Long Meadow, poems by Vijay Seshadri

[Note: But where is my Invisible Bride, huh?]




Do I feel better now? Yes. Yes I do.



But I better start reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.