I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

That's so weird...

because I was reading Stephen Burt last night. He's made handwritten corrections in the copy I got a Shortwave (presumably when he read there in May). But he has pretty bad handwriting, and I can't always tell what they are. (Dan, I know you have the same book and bought it at the same place--Popular Music--is yours like that too?)



Poems I have to force are the ones that don't get finished. Poems that get tossed off generally, though not always, emerge from their crysalises as new insects. So I guess I combine the two approaches. The initial writing should be somewhat easy--or seeming to happen by itself suddenly. Then I "work" at it. I have a very difficult time beginning by forcing myself to choose a subject or theme first. Often, of course, one a poem begins to happen subjects or themes that have recently been in mind emerge in the poem too.



UPDATE: And congratulations, Jordan. Wow, that review is smashing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.