I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Saturday, February 21, 2004

Poetic jitters lead to psycho pants...



Get back on stage sometime, Tonio!



The first two times I read my work in public, I didn't read my work in public. I mean somebody else read my work for me. I was the poetry editor of our high school literary magazine, somebody else read a poem by me at the launch party while I squirmed in the back. The second time came as a complete surprise, and went badly. A friend decided to read one my poems in addition to his own--without telling me about it first. He was trying to be helpful, or encouraging, or something. But I got so freaked out I ran from the club and actually hopped in my car and drove away. After that I skipped the oportunity to read at the launch reading of a journal (which had given me an award even) and sent a proxy to the announcement ceremony for an English department writing contest I'd been honored in. I sat in a bar across campus waiting for him to report back. Ridiculous.



I didn't read in public again until after I started the New School program. I was so terrified in workshops even that I would go into a kind of trance and not remember anything I said afterward. Ridiculous.



But hosting Frequency and events at the Bowery Poetry Club really helped me get used to being on stage. I've mentioned Karaoke + Poetry = Fun--it actually takes the pressure off. You're expected to kind of suck (or really suck) at the song, so the poem's a breeze.



Anyway, it gets better. Now I enjoy doing readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.