I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

So if poems were people...


...we'd be talking about body language, demeanor, accent, tone, and how these extras affirm/undermine the authenticity of whatever words are coming out of mouths. Inability to meet your eyes means lying or otherwise false. Repressed smirk means a game of some kind; are we gonna play it. Eyelash batting might be cute but is there anything behind it.

I've been thinking about how shocked I feel when I get that somebody who's hating on something I've enjoyed isn't reading "for tone." That's like ignoring the look on the poem's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.