I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Ditties for kiddies?


Some of you parents, teachers, librarians, booksellers, and inner children must have good recommendations for children's poetry, right?

I'm interested in contemporary single-author books or nonfuddydud anthologies (no thanks on the Bloom and the Bennett, less didactic, por favor). The classics I think I've got, pretty much, (Silverstein, Stevenson's Child's Garden--that comes as a coloringbook now--et. al.) though if there's something you think's really essential don't keep it to yourself. Poetries from other cultures would be really really helpful. Most of what I know rhymes (and that's great, but), so bonus points for fresher takes on style, etc.

My nieces & nephews did enjoy these two books with an emphasis on concrete/visual poems & poetic forms, respectively. They were intrigued enough to try some of their own. (I haven't checked this by the same author out yet, but if you're a teacher, you might wanna. I also haven't seen this one.)

This book of insect poems for two voices
works a performance angle that seems interesting. Naomi Shihab Nye has also written several, including this one, which my niecephews are getting next.

I keep meaning to just go to the library, but haven't had a chance yet to do it right. And I sometimes feel kinda creepy hanging out childless in the kids' section of the bookstore, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.