I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Half-ass reading report



(And to be sure we're clear--it's the report that's half-ass, not the reading.)



Well, I don't really have time to write this one up properly b/c I'm busy writing about JLO's fall line of skimpy ponchos today. But last night I saw Matt Cook & Joshua Beckman at Pete's Big Salmon. I've seen Josh before and always enjoy his readings--but he read last night from his new book of very short poems Your Time Has Come. These ranged from the funny little giggle to the tiny thinker. From HA! to Hmm. I'll have to pick up a copy next time. Josh also read some new stuff, longer pieces--though being longer than the YTHC bite-size pieces doesn't take much!



Matt Cook (who I met Sunday at Frequency) was a riot. I'd never seen him before but had been pumped up to expect hilarity by Sean, Jen & Ada. Matt didn't disappoint. Jen Benka (a newly signed Soft Skull poet!) and I laughed so hard our table shook. Matt delivers his poems in a style not disimilar to Hal Sirowitz's (see below) with maybe a twist of Todd Colby's punkish 'tude, but his nasally whiney almost plodding diction gives each word time to set up the next for a series of genuinely funny turns. Never have pants & Pittsburgh been so amusing. He read several pieces from his Manic D book In the Small of My Backyard plus some newer stuff. I made him promise to send me a few for LIT.



Jen & Ada & Sean & Joelle & Susan & Matthew & everybody were also there and the garden was perfect afterward. Matthew invited me to speak to his first books class at the New School next week, so that should be interesting. Anyway, it was a great show. Very glad I made it. Jen & Sean were right--I would have been sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.