I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Sunday, June 6, 2004

Yankee's honey locust = Texan's mesquite



A little something I learned this weekend, thanks to Ranger Mike. Dave & Stacy have a HUGE one in their backyard. No more buying wood chips for me! And when Dave prunes the thorns, he can throw them right on the grill--or use them as skewers!

The brisket was awesome, if I do say so myself. (I use Jim Goode's mop and spice rub.) And the half gallon of homemade barbecue sauce. (I make Steven Pyles' but replace the ketchup [NO!] with tomato paste & sauce, use only pure ancho chile powder, cut a bit of the sugar, and add an extra jalapeƱo.) And Charlie brought tons of knockwurst, bratwurst, weisswurst, and andouille. David made shrimp kabobs, cole slaw, and black beans. And we barbecued some fresh ears of corn that Dan & Maisie brought. Super yum.

Left the smoker over there in their good hands (since we don't have a yard now), and this is gonna be one heck of a summer.

*[This post has not been modified, but I have since gone vegan. Even though I have been "mostly vegetarian" for a long time, on party occasions and road trips I often indulged my native Texan tastes, as witnessed here! Another old post that proves if I can do it, anyone can.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.