I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Thursday, June 17, 2004

Father's Day with Hal Sirowitz at the Bowery Poetry Club!



Please spread the word. This will be fun--Hal is hilarious live. And I might just bring Father's Day cake.



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



Sunday, June 20 2004

5:00 p.m.



Hal Sirowitz launches Father Said

at the Bowery Poetry Club on Father's Day!




Looking for something cool to do with Dad?



Hal Sirowitz will be reading from his new book Father Said for Father's Day!

Bring Dad after brunch and share some laughs. Signed copies available!



Bowery Poetry Club

308 Bowery

Between Houston & Bleecker

FREE! FREE! FREE! FREE!



Take the 6 to Bleecker or the F to 2nd Avenue.



HAL SIROWITZ is the outgoing Poet Laureate of Queens, NY. He has appeared on MTV, PBS, NPR, and stages across the country and the world. His international bestselling book MOTHER SAID is the basis of an animated series in Norway, and inspired the song "I Palindrome I" by They Might Be Giants. If you think Hal's poems are funny on the page, just wait till you hear them live. For more information, click here.



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



Why God Created Eve



In the Bible God created

a companion for Adam --

Eve -- to keep Adam from being

lonely, Father said. If it was

such a great idea how come

He didn't create one for Himself?

That was what went through my mind

while your mother was yelling at me

for not putting the pickles back

into the refrigerator. But they were

already sour. Letting them stay

at room temperature could not have

made them taste worse. Later,

when she served the cake, & there

wasn't enough for everyone & she

didn't give herself any I was ready

to forgive her until she started

to eat mine. It made me think

God may have created Eve

for the same reason the TV

needed to be invented -- He

wanted to make sure He always

had something entertaining to watch.





The Long Leash



You see the leash on that dog, Father said.

It's so long that he doesn't even know

it's connected to him. That’s what I do

with your mother. I give her a long leash.

She thinks she's the boss. But why do I

have to let her think she’s in control?

Isn't the one paying the bills legally in charge?

If that's the case then this household is

being run illegally. But try getting the police

to uphold the law. They're trained to look

the other way when there’s a domestic dispute.

I could never dream of getting a divorce.

She gives me a tough enough time as it is.

Imagine what she'd be like if she hated me.



 



How To Build Confidence



I'm going to teach you how to feel confident,

Father said, in one easy lesson. Repeat

after me, "Mother is a jerk." I'm

confident she can't hear us, because

I just saw her leave the house. I'm

also confident you won't tell her what

I said, because you said it too. When

she returns I'll compliment her on her dress.

If I complimented her on anything else

she'd get suspicious. That's what

confidence is in a nutshell--knowing

what you're able to get away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.