I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Friday, October 1, 2004

Fun with the dictionary



So, you guys know about bartleby.com, right? It's a super handy one-stop reference hub. But I just discovered a delightful new-to-me feature. The American Heritage Dictionary talks!



I was looking up a word I just discovered is misspelled in Big Confetti. (Not sure how I glossed over this so many times before--it just hit me the other night at the reading. Right in the middle of the poem.)



(If you're in a cubical, use your headphones now.)



Anyway, so I was looking up "feral." And for the first time I noticed that next to the phonetic representation there's a little speaker icon. Headphones. Click. Cool. (At least I was saying it right.)



So I listen to a few more words. Febrile, sandwich, monomania. As for "feral" the voice is serious, regal even.



But then, just for giggles, I looked up this word.



Oh ho ho ho ho. Forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.