I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Ear, the Liar, and Kili

Hey, I never reported on Jen & [expurgated]'s reading last week. Kili is a groovy place, and with the hypnotic Duraflame log on the fire next to [expurgated] in his Lone Ranger mask and Jen in her sequined skirt the ambiance was sexy and glamorous. [expurgated] read some recent stuff, including the one that cribs a line from the latest no-smoking campaign on the subways: "He's a quitter. And I think that's sexy." Jen did some newer stuff too, but didn't leave out the Hippy Sci-Fi Homosexual poem, which not only cracked up everybody in the audience, but cracked up Jen too; she could hardly get through it. Heh heh. Nice night, for sure. Sean McNally, Brendan Lorber, Todd Colby & Elizabeth Zechel, Aaron Kiely, Sarah Manguso, Chris Martin, and a bunch of other folks I'm forgetting to name in the house. Tracey read poems for [expurgated] & Jen before they went on, which was cool.



Saturday at the Ear was fun. I've been to lots of readings there, but it was my first attempt to battle the noise of the bar. It's no problem at all to listen, because the readers are miked, but when you're up there yourself it's more distracting than I expected--everybody at the bar behind you and the front of the restaurant going on with their conversations and laughter. I kept trying to eavesdrop and read at the same time. But after the second or third poem I pretty much forgot about it. Thanks to the regulars for coming out: Susanne & Mike, Maureen, Charlie, Rob & Jessica, Tom Kelly. Afterward I was gifted with three drawings (they have crayons and butcher paper on the tables). My scanner's broken or I'd post 'em.



Then David Ohle & Brian Evenson rocked the Liar with Andy Freedman, and that was just great. Thanks to Shafer for letting us put on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.