I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, October 25, 2004

Back from CT



Great, relaxing weekend with Shawn and Ollie and a fireplace. Beautiful views from our hotel. Several good local beers and fresh seafood. Long walks. Read lots of James Merrill, since our hotel was on Water Street where he lived for 40 years. At the Harp & Hound in Mystic yesterday I laughed aloud at one poem, and the regular next to me and bartender asked me to read it aloud:



From "Eight Bits"



5/ LIPSTICK, 1935



At Aunt Pearl's kiss the pointed head

Extruded glistening pale red

From the jet sheath where it was housed

Looked like our Labrador, aroused.





Hooting and howling ensued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.