I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

A wand, staff, baton, or rod



Deborah Ager & Katey Nicosia & Laura Carter have all passed me the stick. (Sorry for the delay--sister was still in town.) So here goes:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
If I'm going to burn, I might as well really deserve it. Does the Patriot Act count? Hubby takes exception and thinks I should "play right" and decide which book I would like to memorize and become in order to save, as the characters in the novel do. Fine. That would have to be one of the top two deserted island books below. I personally couldn't make it forever without either of them. Since I first did this this morning I have changed my answers 300 times. I'm just going to be selfish about it.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Everyone I've ever had a crush on has turned out to be fictional, except my husband, who is the real deal. But to be serious: Spiderman.

The last book you bought is:
Ilya Kaminsky's Dancing in Odessa (autographed, my second copy)

The last book you read:
Ditto

What are you currently reading?
Claudia Rankine's Don't Let Me Be Lonely & William Gibson's Pattern Recognition--which are resonating with each other in powerfully odd ways. More on this in the monthly wrap-up, maybe.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
One thing this question leaves out is how long I would be there and if my stay would be of a stranded or vacation type. I'm assuming I would be stranded, like forever. So I would hope to have these books--a mix of favorites and a couple things one major novel I haven't yet made time for but really want to get to. Seems like I'd finally have the time. The first couple of weeks where I'm wigging out without my intenet connection are really really gonna suck. Culinary essentials that I would otherwise always want near to hand are best left at home, I think, lest I drool myself to death. No matter what I packed, as soon as I got there I'd want something else. I really hope this never happens.

The Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens
The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara
Selected Writings of Gertrude Stein (that big Vintage paperback--with Tender Buttons, The Making of Americans, Melanctha, AND The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, plus etc.)
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes, trans. by Grossman b/c I already read the Smollet (I love it, but since I decided to take a Stein omnibus, don't need it.)
The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
Tristam Shandy by Laurence Sterne

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
D. Murlin Nester, because I love him but also like to irritate him. UPDATE: Daniel was also sticked by Katey. How popular he is.
Vincie, ditto. (Note that Miss Millay has moved to new digs!)
Reen, ditto. (Plus she's posted the MacNeice poem she actually read from the other night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.