I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

44 Sonnets



Mike Snider's handsewn chap arrived a couple of days ago, along with--surprise!--a delightful CD of his band The Salamanders.

Haven't had a chance to read all of this hefty chap (it's 44 poems after all--only one fewer than in my forthcoming nonchap!), but this one jumped out at me (and I think I recall it from a blog post some time back). It's a fitting song for almost-spring.

Unrequited

I had a crush on Liz because one night
She danced real slow with me and every beat,
Since she was lame, her hip slipped tight
Across my hardon--Christ, but it was sweet!
And Gina, who broke every hippie's heart,
Her famous shorts she'd cut so short the hair
Would glisten while she sat, those thighs apart
To show she knew you knew, and didn't care--
Truth is, I was in love with everyone,
But most of all with Ronnie--when he'd sing
His "Stranger Things" I'd almost come undone
To hear him cry out "Mikey, do that thing!"
And everything was in my mandolin,
More than he wanted of all I'd ever been.



Now that is a dang fine sonnet. Line up for yours over at the Sonnetarium.

Cheers, Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.