I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, January 31, 2005

January reads







Enjoyed all of these. Niedecker is really fascinating. I'd only read her in drips & drabs before. I think Dan suggested he figured she'd be in my top five femmetheon & since spending lots of time with her short poems, I'm almost getting the feeling that I anticipated her influence while writing Down Spooky (if that makes sense at all). Murakami's new to my favorite novelist list and I'm "saving" the new one to make the love last. Am working on a review of the UDP chaps, so more about those later. Particularly recommend Guess Can Gallop and The Babies; each exudes its own fresh energy. Verbal pops absolutely crackle in GCG & a Grimm's-tales feeling spooks up SOMark's narrative sequence with hypnotic repetitive loops. The three collections I didn't quite get to stay in the stack for Feb.



Note: After the end of December, I moved the December reading list to the last day of the month, so each month's READS can viewed at the top of each archived month, going forward. If yer interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.