I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Finally catching up with these essays...

over at the Academy of American Poets site. Like this one by Stephen Burt on Frank O'Hara. That conspiratorially friendly open style was a revelation to me when I started reading O'Hara. That's exactly why I found him so appealing, even though (don't freak Dan), I wasn't really drawn to confessional poets like Lowell. The TMI poets. They made me uncomfortable. And the girls in my undergrad classes who wrote urgently about their periods or oddly dispassionately about the loss of their viginity made me uncomfortable. Frank I wanna call up and invite to the Four-Faced Liar. Yes, please do tell me everything, Frank. Then let's write some poems.



And then at the end, in the last line, Burt throws in Albert Goldbarth. Even though I had some minor complaints about Pieces of Payne I really dig Goldbarth. And you know, he also reads the Fortean Times. Right on. AND he's not above singing for KPF.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.