I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Another ugly word:



brooch



Unfortunately they're going to be big this fall, fashionwise, and they come attached to everything from coats to sweaters, so I have to type this a lot.



I think it's the misleading vowels. You actually can spell it broach according to Webster's, but I'm a preferred-spelling kind of gal. I don't like broach as in "to broach the subject" either. Who can say why? It's not the ch--I love lots of words with ch, in fact I refer to "good language" as "crunchy" sometimes. Love crunch. It's not the br--look at brim, broom, breakage, (especially breakage--that nice soft g.)



Another word that gives me pain in the fashion lexicon: lustre. We spell it the British English way, with re, as do most catalogs. Luster just looks terrible and evokes one who lusts. But then I guess silk charmeuse has been known to have that effect. (Timbre on the other hand, I like very much. Go figure.)



Now that's a nice word, charmeuse. But you should only wear it at night or for formal occasions.



All of this to say: I am having trouble concentrating on my job today because I am so flipping excited about the Massacre. Big old poetry nerd, right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.