I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Tuesday, January 6, 2004

What kind of poet am I?


"At some level, who among [us] doesn’t think, I’m not an adjective poet, I’m just a poet? And who among us doesn’t know that any poet who tells you that he or she is not an X or Y kind of writer, but is 'just a poet,' isn’t being deliberately disingenuous?" Read the rest.




Unlike Dale Smith, I love reading Ron's blog. (I also love to read Dale's bidness at the Possum Pouch. But what's with the broken archive links, dude? Go to 12/24/03.) Not that I always agree with (or sometimes even understand) Ron. Strong opinions well articulated provoke somersaults in the brain, sometimes very acrobatic gymnastics in cases where the reader finds them disagreeable. John Latta talked a bit about this yesterday or the day before (no archive links at Hotel Point--but scroll down a few days).



But most of the time I eat it up, whatever Ron's serving. For instance, that Rae Armantrout stuff today. It made my lunch break.



Anyway, Ron's explanation yesterday of his SofQ and post-avant distinctions is interesting and helpful in understanding his other blog & critical writings. But that sentence above about poets who don't self-identify has got me thinking--what kind of poet am I? I've studied on it before, of course, but figured it was less than profitable to pursue.



Considering that I'd never heard of the School of Quietude (at least by that name--the New Formalists, sure), the New Brutalists, or Ron's post-avant category until a few months ago, I haven't the foggiest if I fit there. I barely have a handle on flarfists, my dears.



A related story: a poet who shall remain nameless recently refused (and none too gently) the kind solicitation of one of the other LIT editors on the grounds that he could not possible appear in the same pages as a certain other poet of a rival camp. Yes, I'm serious. That kind of shit freaks me out. Just so you know, the two poets in question have ALREADY appeared in the same issue of another mag. We wouldn't have asked if we didn't admire his writing, right? We have an editorial board, made up of people with different aesthetics. And variety is the spice of life, yes? Whatever. I have no time for such bullsh*t.



Am I disingenuous because I haven't yet aligned myself with a group? Has someone (or will someone) do the aligning for me? Was there a moment when YOU decided? Can you tell me about it so I know what to do? Do I have to pray or meditate or something?



Post-avant seems a broad category and more historical than prescriptive. I'm cool with that. But does that mean I can't write any more sestinas?



Please help.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.