I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Thursday, January 8, 2004

Kinds of Poets: Identify yourselves!



I am a Frequentist, which is a subset of the Disingenuists. Meaning that I write frequently, but not always poetry, and not always for public consumption, and also meaning that I used to run the Frequency Series. (Speaking of which, FREQUENCY is being continued by Shafer Hall and his friend Rachel! Details, schedule, and new venue info very soon!)



Everything I do, I do with frequency. And frivolity!



Daniel Nester, though he doesn't know it yet, is a Frequentist too. He is also a Mercurist, which is a subset of the Queenists, in turn a subset of the Rockists, a subset themselves of Pop Culture Poets. But the exclusivity of the Mercurist and Queenist movements is such that Nester is the only member. He's considering inducting Josh Corey, though.



So, what kind of poet are you?



A) Experimental

B) Post-Avant

C) New Brutalist

D) Flarfist

E) New Formalist

F) Frequentist

G) I work for Hallmark or am an "ad man"

H) Pop-Culture Poet

I) Spoken Word/Slam

J) Poet/Comedian/A$$hole

K) Traditionalist

L) Plagiarist

M) Language Poet

N) Punk-rock poet

O) I am a proud member of the School of Quietude

P) Generation # of the New York School (fill in number)

Q) I write in Shakespearean English and sign my poems "Wink." My frat brothers love them.

R) I'm a professor of poetry, who hates poetry, and teaches others to hate poetry.

S) Dramatic Monologist

T) Novel-in-Versist

U) Australian

V) Mainstream

W) A/the Best American Poet!

X) Prose Poet

Y) Bob Holman

Z) None of the above/Disingenuist




Rules: "Just a poet" is not an option, UNLESS you are also a Disingenuist. You may choose more than one identifier, but it's better if the letters for your answer spell something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.