I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, January 26, 2004

WARNING: May cause electrocution of cat, loss of life's work, or worse



Now that it's over, I can talk about it.



Saturday afternoon when I was out getting paper and running errands, my beloved snaggle-toothed cat Marvin upset a glass of water on my desk. He has a habit of drinking out of my glasses. Only mine. In fact, he refuses to drink out of a bowl. He has his own glass next to his dish in the kitchen. But he prefers mine.



When I came home, I found iBook sitting in shallow puddle. Lettera 22 was splashed, but unrusted. Several notebooks dampened, but salvagable. Quickly dried and toweled and otherwise neatened mess.



iBook, which contains not only my manuscripts but several of those belonging to Soft Skull authors in various states of completion, was kaput. Pressed power key. Nothing doing.



Dissolved into sobs.



Panicked.



Got out a blow dryer (never used for actually drying hair). Took battery out and unplugged iBook. Opened disc tray and lifted keypad. Gently blew and swiped and waved the dryer at things--low setting. No water actually seen inside anywhere. Computer thankfully closed when accident happened. Found one droplet near headphone jack that turned out to be stray tear.



No use.



Cried some more. Panicked again. Went to dinner with Dan & Maisie, then trudged uptown to the abode of the infamous Mr. Kelly for racous taste of oblivion. Forgot problem.



Sunday morning attempted again. After wincing and moaning. Closed eyes. Couldn't look. Clasped hands in attitude of prayer.



Miracle! iBook was once again fully functional.



Please do not do this stupid thing. And if you do, please do not scream "bitch" at your unsuspecting kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.