I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Wednesday, January 7, 2004

Even more on kinds of poets...

or at least the New Brutalist kind.



"Let's get something out of the way first: the whole goofy problem of self-naming, which rests on the crux of how seriously one takes oneself. The implications are similar when considering the purchase of a baby-tee at Ross with the words 'bitch' or 'princess' or 'cutie' emblazoned in silver cursive writing across the front."

--the inimitable Stephanie Young




I read Stephanie's piece before, but just found it again.



And that's exactly why when a friend (who I don't know all that well) showed up at a bar gathering wearing a necklace that said "SNATCH," I didn't know whether to laugh or what. I just felt confused.



Labels, which are words, are tricky things. The only words that don't cause me suffering are conjunctions.



And what, if anything, do the poetic New Brutalists have to do with Le Corbusier, et. al.? Are New Brutalist poems "hard, tough, uncompromising," or "brutal, as in ugly," or is the poets' goal to be "true to their materials" and "free from supposed frivolity"? Do they take a "functional approach"?



I'm down with all that. 'Cept that frivolity stuff. Long live frivolity! And personally I don't like the whole black-leather-and-chrome-tubing look. What would that look like in a poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.