I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Things I learned on my book tour


Still haven't had time to report on the last few cities of the tour-so-far. Too much to do to catch up after being away so long. Probably I'll get to it sometime this weekend. But here're a few things I picked up along the way, in case you find them useful.

1. Wisconsin is the only state in which I have ever been accused of not drinking enough. Tip: Hold an empty bottle and pretend to drink unless you want somebody to force one on you or find you suspicious.

2. The Midwest is much more lax about speeding and other traffic violations than the South and Northeast.

3. Mars Cheese Castle[*]

4. There are indeed plenty of reasons to visit Muncie, Indiana. (Peter Davis being one of the most compelling.)

5. It is possible to burn one's mouth on a salad.

6. Rest stops are the creepiest places on the planet, daytime, nighttime, no matter. Even a Burger King with an out-of-order toilet and no TP is better.

7. Midwesterners (except Chicagoans) like their pizza on a thin crispy crust, and cut it into little squares, even from a round pie.

8. There's a big difference between a poet performing and the host just talking...and talking...and talking. And if there are more than five rules, and the explication of these rules requires several minutes plus multiple signs, it's probably not possible to have any fun.

9. There is not a single available parking space anywhere in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

10. 7 hours is about as much driving as I can personally perform before I start to hallucinate.

11. Gabriel Gudding did not study martial arts for nothing.

12. I thought EVERYBODY read Ron Silliman's blog. Turns out, I underestimated!

*[This post has not been modified, but I have since gone vegan. Yeah, I miss cheese, but this book has made it nearly painless!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.