I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Stanley Kunitz, 1905-2006



That's not a typo.* The man was 100!

About a decade ago I attended a 90th birthday party celebration for Stanley Kunitz. I think it was the first poetry reading I ever went to in NYC. (I'd only been here about a week or so.)

I saw him a few times after that, at his own readings, on 12th Street near the New School where he apparently had an apartment & just 'round about. He was warm & funny, always smiling. His love poems to his wife (even if his style is not your cuppa) have always moved me. & he gave us Poets' House.

Farewell, Mr. Kunitz.

*Uh, except it was a typo. I put 2005, i/o 2006. Whoops. He passed yesterday, May 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.