I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Green gazpacho (for Chris Murray)



I made a huge batch of this last weekend and have been slurping it daily since. I no longer remember where I got the original recipe but I'm sure I've modified it anyway. It is definitely one of my favorite chilled soups. I drink it out of a glass and have even had it for breakfast. Delicious.

Green gazpacho

2-3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
1 green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded (optional) & chopped
1 small bunch of seedless green grapes (about a 1/2 lb.)
3 scallions, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
4 slices of good [vegan*] white bread, crust removed (light wheat will work--a day-old baguette is perfect)
a small handful of chopped cilantro (1/4 cup or so)
a small handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley (ditto)
good pinch cumin
good pinch coriander
tiny pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbsp lemon juice (bout half a large lemon)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (or more juice instead--it's fine)
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth or stock
3/4 cup plain [soy*] yogurt
salt & pepper to taste
avocado sliced or cubed to garnish

UPDATE: Oops. I forgot the [soy*] yogurt. Gotta have that!

If all this stuff is already chilled from your fridge, this could not be easier.

Run the bread under the faucet for a second and then squeeze all the water you can out of it. Slice the grapes in half (otherwise they will just spin round and round and not puree). Throw everything in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. If you like, you can reserve some of the chopped veggies and grapes to add to the puree for more texture. I like it drinkable, so I don't do that. Garnish with avocado cubes, and even some creme freche or [Better Than Sour Cream*] or hot pepper sauce if you have it. Sometimes I also add a serano or jalapeno, but I am a Texan, ya know. Serve cold!

*[This post has been modified because I have since gone vegan.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.