I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Thursday, February 3, 2005

Oh Daniel Nester we love you get up



I will do it for you!



Everybody buy Dan's books and send them to him and he will sign them and return them to you with a mixed CD of Queen-related songs like he made for me not because he is selfish and vaingloriously pompous but because his heart is as big as the Empire State and he loves to share the things he loves with you. They are good. You should.



And also you should buy them because after he accepted 4 (4!!) of my poems I sent as a cold submission to La Petite Zine in like 2001 or so I got on the mailing list and before the issue was ever even out I introduced myself to him at an LPZ reading at the Cornelia Street Cafe and then like because he liked my poems and I liked his poems we were like really good friends even though we didn't know each other and I remember being on vacation in the fucking Hamptons when he was on his bike and got hit by a taxi cab and I was worried and like that was weird because I still didn't really know him and then later we published each other in our magazines so what we comment on each others poems alot so what and he got me the job at Soft Skull so what and he practically forced me to do the Frequency Series with him so what and made me sing karaoke and read poems in front of an audience FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE EVER so what and I became his editor for the Queen books even though I didn't even work there when they signed him up so what and he made me a mixed CD to listen to while I worked on them and that was great and also a mellow mix with Coldplay and he laughed so hard when I looked up b*kakki online because I am naive and he put it in a poem and he comes to every single one of my readings and you know he probably goes to yours too if you live within a hundred-mile radius of New York or even in Philly or Boston and even if you've never heard of him if you're a poet he's probably heard of you because he's a voracious reader and is just naturally curious and enthusiastic and even though he has a temper and sometimes goes off half-cocked especially about class issues and politics and sometimes about your general asshole behavior he is a sweetie really deeply a sweetie and he will talk to you for hours on the phone until his ear literally bleeds for real he is pressing the receiver so hard to his head because he's listening with everything he can muster and he likes to talk about what he likes and because because Dan Nester is a bad ass and he loves you and you should love him back.



(Ok, I just choked myself up. Gotta go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.