I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, February 28, 2005

February reads





Matthew Thorburn's Subject to Change moves naturally (even in its more formal moments) and is frankly sensuous in a really appealing way. (And if I ever did edit an anthology of food poems, M would surely make that assortment.) M was a year ahead of me at the New School so it's the first book by a classmate I've had the chance to read, which added another level of pleasure to the experience. After reading Cynthia Sailers & Chris Stroffolino (and thinking back to Noah Eli Gordon's The Frequencies), I am telling everybody about James Meete's Tougher Disguises Press. This shit is hot, yo (both the poets and the design). I can hardly wait for Stephanie Young's. The revelations this month were (probably obviously) Pound and Stein. I've read lots by each, but neither of these. Not sure why I wasn't assigned ABC of Reading instead of a Blahton Anthology for the fortieth time at any point in any class. And I somehow skipped in when "on my serious Pound kick" as an undergraduate. I think what happened is after reading the Humphrey Carpenter bio and so much of the poetry I just got kind of sick of Pound. Pound saturation. And he can still annoy me, but I tended to read his bluster this time around as somewhat amusing and thus was able to appreciate the soundess of (most) of the didacticism. After reading The World Is Round: Dear Gertrude Stein, I love you. As ever, Shanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.