I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Monday, February 19, 2007

New(s)


I went for a long walk in my new neighborhood yesterday, snapping photos, only to discover that I had no CF card in my Rebel. Dang. So I can't show you.

But I discovered some grave markers so old they are just sort of smoothly rippled instead of engraved they're so worn, angled like crooked teeth in a mouth of snow.

& a seen-better-days luncheonette that's been operating since at least 1909, with a band of regulars who argue and drink coffee all day. Every day. For as long as anyone can remember.

& an unused rail station that's been restored, just in case, or to receive some new office or business. The ticket windows are beautiful.

& learned the name of the color of our house (one of the five mandated within the confines of the historical district): Federalist Blue.

& rebuffed a mattress salesman who oozed approximately two lies per minute. (Wow. Really. Who is that clueless?)

& learned never to drive into Queens on a Friday before a long weekend. (Um, really, I should have already known better. But I forgot about the holiday (since I'm not off) & had to pick up some recovered chairs. Worth it. They're sooooo like-new.)

& discovered a sculpture park, a German-Czech restaurant, live jazz, live blues, a hillybilly bar (self-described) with karaoke, several lovely new county roads, & a barbecued rib joint. Haven't tried any of them yet, except the roads.

+++

Unrelated: my sister sold some drama books to Aragorn this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.