I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Sunday, February 4, 2007

How much the Adams Book Company deserves your scorn.


So, in Brooklyn, there's this guy named Adam. He's a very nice guy. I've met him twice.

He opened a bookstore in my (until recently) neighborhood. It's a great store. I bought about a dozen things there.

He has been cease-and-desisted by these asshats.

So he's changed the bookstore name to Unnameable Books, which is clever. But his own name is still Adam. His own name is beyond their reach.

A cursory peek at their website easily shows the two businesses have zero overlap. There is nothing for the ABC to get all proprietary about. Adam's one-room used & new bookstore in Brooklyn in no way impinges on their textbook territory. The name of the company is not so unique. If they tried to take Adam to court they'd be told they have no case.

This kind of shit really pisses me off. It's one of the uglier symptoms of American Capitalism. It's gross.

Anyway, you can write to the Adams Book Company to tell them how ridiculous they are here: csdept@adamsbook.com.

And hey, I know some of you are teachers of K-12, and some of you work for publishers which supply ABC--maybe find another outlet, eh? And some of you also write for publications like Library Journal, Chronicle of Higher Education, or say, Publishers Weekly, right? Well, hint hint.

UPDATE: I wrote them a letter. I don't care if it doesn't help. Here's the contact info. Give 'em some hell, if you've got it to spare.

Phone Number: (800) 221-0909
Fax Number:(888) 229-2650

customerservice@adamsbook.com
Orders@adamsbook.com
Sales@adamsbook.com
Returns@adamsbook.com
billing@adamsbook.com

And, hey, if you feel like going in person, here's a physical address:

Adams Book Company, Inc.
Order Department
537 Sackett Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Walking distance from (the real) Adam's Books too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.