I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ida Clara Deorsam Rose, 1907-2007


I Declare a Rose

Mamaw's answer to everything was

dope and salve, such remnants of the thicket

as primeval alligators and orchids.

So what's moss for which masses?

For whose holly with ducklings?

A gar jaw? A trailer hitch?

That damn boat ramp.

Mamaw caught the dishwater

to rinse the okra patch. Her knotty

cypress knees kneading troweled

soil. Her handkerchief so Boraxed,

so lavendered. Her hymn ever-

so baptized, so spring-fed.

Sleep Mamaw. We're singing now.

Your bread bags are folded

in every kitchen drawer.



Originally appeared in MiPoesias

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.