I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Sunday, July 9, 2006

Home again


Hi. Photos soon.

There's a single perfect word to describe reading Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere, while using a rustically furnished cabin as homebase: WOW.

Note to Jonathan: Me too, but after a while, I started to appreciate that the novel is an attempt at a multilayered, multimedia experience--built into the narrative is a bibliography of recommended works. Going through and reading each work mentioned (while listening to the accompanying soundtrack he suggests, and even pausing to watch the films) would form an interesting complex. Murakami seems--to borrow a metaphor from the book--to be playing chords. (Of course, I was in the middle of nowhere, so I couldn't follow every reference--but at least I did know most of the music, and had my iPod. I'm planning to go back and dig up the poetry and read the Soseki novels.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.