I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Recipe swap



Remember those peppers I just received from Texas? They are going to be playing starring roles in tomorrow's feast.

I've dried some and am toasting them and grinding them for chile powder today, which goes in the Mexican corn tortilla stuffing for the turkey [tofurky or pumpkin*] and also the basting oil.

I'm roasting others for the kabocha squash soup (would also be great with butternut or pumpkin). Some roasted poblano peppers also go into the stuffing.

And some fresh jalapenos provide the kick to this cranbery salsa, from my sister's favorite restaurant--the Peach Tree Tearoom in Fredericksburg, Texas. She gave me the cookbook a couple of years ago for Christmas.

If you need to take something to dinner, this is super easy and everybody loves it. Also, here is a link to my Pawpaw's bourbon pecan pie.

Cranberry Salsa

3 oranges, seeded & quartered
2 jalapenos, seeded*
2 cups sugar*
1 bunch fresh cilantro
8 cups fresh cranberries

Makes 6-8 cups.

Chop the oranges, jalapenos & 1/2 cup of the sugar in the food processor (not too fine--you want a little texture for this). Put this into a large bowl.

Chop cilantro and half of the cranberries with another 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add to the bowl of oranges and peppers.

Chop the rest of the cranberries with 1 cup sugar [this is where things get a little too sweet for me--but maybe you'll like it] and add to the mix and stir.


Chill or serve it at room temperature. The jalapenos will develop the longer it sits, but the tart cranberries cut the heat nicely. (Removing the seeds makes the peppers milder, and for the mildest peppers, choose the bright green ones without the white, crackly seams). Serve the salsa in place of traditional cranberry sauce, as a dip for tortilla chips, with goat cheese on bruschetta (or with cream cheese on a bagel), or even splash a little dollop in your vodka cocktail--it's beautiful! I bet it would also be a great topping for vanilla ice cream.

*Personally, I cut the sugar in about half (depending on how tart the berries are) and add another jalapeno.

*[This post has been modified because I have since gone vegan.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.