I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Chiles are mood boosters!





And I just received a 5-pound garden-fresh box from Texas! Thanks, Darryl!

It's true: "In a nutshell, capsaicin [the ingredient in chiles that gives them their heat] can reduce pain, minimize blood glucose and cholesterol levels, lower high blood pressure, raise metabolism, and trigger the release of endorphins and seratonin, brain chemicals that counteract depression and mood swings."

I haven't read that book, but I know chiles are higher in vitamin C than citrus, capsaicin boots my mood (and is devilishly addictive), spicy stuffed chiles or salsa is THE best hangover cure, and damn it, they are also beautiful to look at--and a delightful surprise to get in the mail!

There are orange, yellow, green, red habañeros, jalpeños, anaheims, bells, and serranos. I'll be making hot sauce, chili powders, and stuffed chiles this weekend for sure. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.