I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Reluctance


Doesn't mean I don't do.

But that I feel I shouldn't have to.

So when I say "I am not a ________ writer" that doesn't mean I am not a ________, just that I'd prefer just to be a writer.

For instance, when I say "I am a reluctant feminist" that means "I am pissed off about having to expend any energy on making some kind of point about gender equality rather than expend that energy on something else."

Like putting up billboards announcing the sky is blue. The color of the sky isn't a stance.

Anyway I don't really believe that bigots (of any stripe) can be cured. Bigotry isn't synonymous with ignorance. I think that view is too optimistic.

See how boring it is when I talk like this?

I'm much cuter with pom-poms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.