I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Just finished



James Ellroy's The Big Nowhere


There's a reason this book took me so long to finish, besides just being busy. I mean, this is one of the most effed up books I have ever read. That Ellroy can even imagine such crimes makes me wonder about the man's sanity. The characters are mostly vile, the racial and other supremely offensive epithets are like punches in the face. But did I love it? Yes. Did I exclaim "holy f*ck" about 30 times during the final chapter? Yes. Did I more than once wish I could get away talking like a vintage gangster? Yes. Do I feel completely guilty for letting my heart break a little in sympathy with Buzz Meeks (whom you may remember from L.A. Confidential)? Absolutely. And should you read it? I recommend it. Just keep telling yourself "this is fiction...this is fiction....this is fiction."

UPDATE: Courtesy of Charlie Orr, here is an interview excerpt I thought you all might enjoy:

McDonald: Do you read a lot of poetry? You drop these lines of poetry into interviews, articles...and I've seen you do it across a number of years. Auden, particularly.

Ellroy: You know, I've read through Auden. A lot of the shit I don't understand, and I don't like and I don't get.

McDonald: I know you read Anne Sexton.

Ellroy: Ohhh baby! Oh man!

McDonald: Hot but doomed.

Ellroy: Craig, you're brilliant. You've just defined, Anne Sexton: hot but doomed. You'd do her, wouldn't you?

McDonald: Well yeah, based on the photos I've seen of her in her prime … yeah.

Ellroy: Hah!

McDonald: Have you written any poetry of your own?

Ellroy: Naw. But I do love Sexton. "Hot but doomed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.