I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Now with more photos!



I've gone back and updated some of last week's posts with photos. Here are a few more from the AWP bookfair and conference.


Richard Nash, our fearless publisher


Lucy Corin & Joshua Clover


Robin Lauzon working some One-Story magic


Richard Greenfield's unique chemical composition blurs all attempts to capture him on film. Cal Bedient & Bin Ramke over to the right.


A partially decimated Soft Skull table. During my shifts there, we sold more Daniel Nester than anything else! And we sold out of Jane and Gamers too.


At this point the last day of the bookfair is a bit of a blur, but I do remember running into Tony Robinson again (as evidenced photographically here). And I talked with Marie Ponsot, who made a very good point about how AWP should not be treating the Pedagogy panels as a sub-conference. They are exiled to the upper floors and even the schedule is seperated out. Seems a little skewed to me too, and I also wondered about it last year. What's up with that, AWP? Isn't the conference supposed to be (mostly) about writing programs and how to improve them? Anyway, Marie was very indignant about it, and we love Marie. She was threatening to write some letters.

Chris Fischbach at the Coffee House Press table traded me the Anne Waldman omnibus for a pair of Nesters and I also bought Ray McDaniel, Elaine Equi, & Ron Padgett's Joe, and drooled on the rest. Brenda at FC2 traded me Michael Mejia, Cris Mazza & Lynda Schor for some SSP fiction, and I've never met an FC2 book I didn't like, so I'm looking forward to all of these. I stopped by the Verse table again to get the Gillian Conoley book and say good morning to Matthew. Also picked up the latest issues of Post Road, Passages North (at which table I chatted with Timothy Liu & poetry editor Austin Hummell...and what a fantastic cover!), Elixir, & Poetry Flash. I saw many new-to-me magazines, including some gorgeous Canadian ones, and as soon as I unearth all the postcards, bookmarks, and notes I will post a list so you can check them out too.

No doubt about it, the bookfair is my favorite part of the conference. But I'm also really happy to be home. April is buckle-down-and-spring-clean-my-life month.

Speaking of which, I accomplished my NaPoWriMo assignment yesterday. Score: April 1, 3, 5 with 2 & 4 to be made up later. All you editors (who read over the summer) better watch out in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.