I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Strike mostly averted...with happy poetic consequences!


The partial transit strike seems to be only affecting buses in Queens at the moment, which is good news for us, because it means we can and certainly should go see Stephanie Young & David Larsen & Brandon Downing at Teachers & Writers Collaborative dealything tonight. I just got all three books--Stephanie's a few weeks ago, and the other two just arrived yesterday. Here is just one of many kick-ass poems from Stephanie's Telling the Future Off. It's so great, it doesn't even need a title.

I take my leisure wherever I can
like I am cherry blossoms

a wall of trees blooming
without regard to season.

I ate a mango in winter.
Cherry flavor.

I bloomed
and I bloomed and I bloomed.

This much
and no more?

A crowd in the breeze
delicate print body

and I
to suit you with violent declarations.

Triumphant, your head
stuffed into my apron.

Baby lamb butts thigh.
Thigh to baby lamb:

I AM HERE
embedded in the covers

a dream in the forehead of blossoms
and each more than the next

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.