I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Saturday, October 18, 2003

A poem by Bill Kushner



SKY



I work in that great web of intrigue

It's called the sky & I the pilot

But I'll give free rides, I ain't no mean sky

I want my head bald with long flowing hair

For you lonely earthlings to climb up & hide

I want to be a boy & a girl, a dog & a cat

When I grow up & I want also to be a pie

Just for you to dig into when yr heart grows hungry

Dark American nights & the lost moon she's weeping

A kitten in my hand, a puppy in my pants

We'll paint our furniture gaudy with colorful memories

I want to be smart enough to know there's no answer

But to study kindness humility no war no more Sir please

I want to be that big book you read, puts you to sleep



(Bill's reading tomorrow at Frequency from his just-released book In the Hairy Arms of Whitman and also great new work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.