I am temporarily parking archived blog posts here while I redesign my site and change servers. For current content, please visit blog.shannacompton.com.

Saturday, October 25, 2003

60,000 used books browsed...

and the following purchases made, from the lovely and thorough Kaboom Books on Barracks Street:



Chamber Music by James Joyce: Own this already, but not in this slim pocket-sized green paperback from Grossman Publishers/Cape Editions.



Contemporary German Poetry translated by Eswald Osers: A bright orange saddle-stapled chap from Oleander Modern Poets series, 1976. Contains lots of new-to-me names.



Théo, or the New Era by Robert Pinget, translated by Barbara Wright. I just really dig this guy, but haven't read this one.



Relics: Poems by Elton Glaser. Wesleyan University Press, New Poets Series, 1984. His first book?



Blues Words by Roger Manning. A handwritten blue chap from 1993.



And best of all, Now See Here, Homes by Horace Mungin. The author subtitles the black typewritten stock-covered 1969 chap with the following: "The second book of black contemporary poetry." Here's a lil poem:



Down Home Blues Comes Up Home



Funky, Funky, Funky

Feel like a dirty

low-life Donkey.

Funky, Funky, Funky

treated like a dirty

unfed Donkey.



Lord, each time I

try to take a part

they put broomsticks

through my heart.

Now ain't that Funky.



Funky, Funky, Funky

Feel like a dirty

low-life Donkey.



One 'these days

I'm gonna rise

take their fingers

out my eye

and see whose been

Funkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete unwanted comments or ban users by IP address as necessary. Please don't make it necessary.